New Brunswick Medical Society / Société médicale du Nouveau-Brunswick in Fredericton, NB
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Senior Policy Advisor plays an important role providing policy expertise, identifying priorities, researching and developing polices and recommendations that are aligned with the strategic direction of the New Brunswick Medical Society. The Senior Policy Advisor analyzes various public policy alternatives, develops proposals that are consistent with the policy objectives of the NBMS and advocates those policy proposals to legislators charged with passing new laws.
The Senior Policy Advisor's work will enhance the reputation of NBMS and contribute to advocating to improve healthcare delivery and population health for New Brunswick.
This individual has a background in policy development, strategic planning and has a good understanding of health policy and health system advocacy.
Duties and Responsibilities
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- actively maintain a strategic policy work plan, incorporating relevant priorities identified by the organization
- research policy issues and provide advice and analysis, including the preparation of background documents, presentations, policies, and other relevant materials
- proactively identify trends, challenges and opportunities and analyze the risks and benefits of policy options when framing recommendations
- coordinate and manage certain projects within the Policy portfolio
- communicate and collaborate with governmental and non-governmental organizations to establish and maintain stakeholder relationships
- represent NBMS in meetings and consultations on health and practice policy issues with internal and external stakeholders
- deliver policy advice and/or briefings to senior management, the Executive Committee and Board of Directors regarding strategic policy renewal and emerging issues
- provide research and policy support to other departments within NBMS
- work on cross-departmental projects, providing research and policy development expertise, as well as other skills, on an ad hoc basis, as required
- other tasks as requested
The above job duties are only the basic and prime duties of the job. Related and allied duties will be assigned from time to time as may become necessary to the efficient operation of the NBMS.
Position Location and Hours of Work
This position is located in Fredericton, N.B. Normal business hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Additional overtime hours can be expected.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in policy, social sciences, law or other related studies. Education and experience may be substituted for one another. Graduate degree is an asset.
- minimum of seven years of full-time professional experience dealing with economics, public policy, healthcare or a related field
- experience in project managing large-scale, complex projects
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- superior writing, analytical and verbal communication as well as large group presentation skills.
- experience in public sector policy work, especially in regulatory or operational policy environment
- demonstrated experience in supporting executive decision making and have political acumen to understand critical issues and concerns faced by a variety of stakeholders
- proven success in developing and maintaining working relationships with organizations such as federal, provincial or territorial governments and non-governmental organizations
- experience in providing expert evidence-based policy recommendations and advice that aligns with strategic organizational priorities
- expertise is policy analysis
- proven project management skills to plan, establish priorities, anticipate issues and implement recommendations across functional teams and work groups
- experience developing and maintaining stakeholder partnerships to obtain information, analyze policy challenges and solutions, and generate consensus
- ability to consult with stakeholders to anticipate and manage potential issues and negotiate and resolve concerns that may arise
- experience in developing and delivering effective presentations to senior management, executives and other audiences
- strong research skills and the ability to identify trends and opportunities
- effectively prioritize your work to manage multiple projects and issues
- organizational skills to manage conflicting work demands and deliver priorities in alignment with team objectives
- ability to work independently and as a member of a team and have demonstrated adaptability and flexibility, especially under tight deadlines
- ability to facilitate meetings
- self-starter with a positive attitude
- written and spoken competence in both English and French
- knowledge of the healthcare sector in New Brunswick and Canada considered an asset
Please send you resume and cover letter Lisa LePage at email@example.com by August 23rd, 2019. Only those who are invited for an interview will contacted.