Who we are
Founded in 1867, the New Brunswick Medical Society (NBMS) is the professional association representing and serving all 2,000+ practising, future, and retired physicians in the province.
The mission of the NBMS is to advance the interests of physicians and improve the health care system in New Brunswick for the benefit of patients.
Our vision is physicians leading positive change for the growth and enhancement of the health-care system and improved health of New Brunswickers.
The NBMS is the provincial division of the Canadian Medical Association. All physicians practicing in New Brunswick must be registered with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick and be members of the NBMS.
The NBMS is a proven leader in health care in New Brunswick. We established Family Medicine New Brunswick , an innovative team-based model of family practice, in partnership with the provincial government. We also led the implementation of electronic medical records across the province. The society inspires and influences New Brunswickers to take charge of their health with practical health information and tips through preventative care campaigns including Legal, Not Safe, 5-2-1-0 A Way of Life, and #WellnessWednesday.
Our strategic direction
A dedicated group of physicians make up the board of directors that governs the NBMS. The society’s 2020-2022 strategic plan is focused on seven pillars:
- Health System Performance & Advocacy — Improving the performance of our health system through physician leadership and patient engagement;
- Electronic Medical Records — Set a path forward for increased adoption, integration and access to electronic health information for all physicians;
- Member Experience & Wellness — Providing exceptional physician services, volunteer opportunities and learning experiences for physicians in New Brunswick;
- Physician Compensation & Representation — Achieve competitive, fair compensation that will contribute to a more effective effort to recruit and retain physicians;
- Governance & Physician Leadership — Effectively activate physician leaders on key policy decisions that influence the NBMS, its members and the health system;
- Family Medicine New Brunswick — Continue to enhance and expand the FMNB Program;
- Organizational Capacity — NBMS employees should be engaged, supported and enabled to provide quality services and support to New Brunswick’s physicians.
Physicians seeking employment
Physicians can review the latest employment opportunities in New Brunswick by visiting nbhealthjobs.ca.
Patients seeking a family physician
Patients looking for a family physician can register with the province’s Patient Connect program.
Filing a complaint
The NBMS does not have disciplinary powers over physicians. The College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick is the professional body responsible for licensing doctors and regulating the province’s medical profession.